Photos below show the progress
that Jim has made in the
construction of his Corsair F4U-1
Dewey purchased a full wood kit for the Corsair from "Precision Cut Kits" of Ewing, NJ. All the parts are laser cut (beautiful and accurate). The plans are from Nick Ziroli.
Wing Span 93"
Wing Area 1650 sq in
Weight 28-32 lbs
Jim plans to use his Brison 106cc for power.
The crutch on the risers with the formers and engine box sides glued in.
This photo shows the fuselage crutch on the risers.
This is the right side - the balsa is glued in place. When I get these two pieces on I will lay-up the tail wheel doors and then install the tail wheel.
Left side of the fuse with the first balsa sheet on. I wet the balsa, taped and clamped it to the fuse waiting for it to dry.
View of the wing saddle
The bottom of the fuse is sheeted. I put a sheet
of MonoKote where the tail wheel doors go and
layed up 3 layers of 6oz fiberglass for the doors.
This is the completed stab, but not
Starting the horizontal stab
Starting the wing folding hinges,
which are made of printed circuit
Another view of the rudder - notice
the leading edge is a full radius
with the hinges countersunk
The hinges are in the center
section with the locking mechanism
Another shot of the same
Still another shot
After I put the MonoKote on, I waxed it to act as a release for the fiberglass.
The finished rudder
All flap hinges are made of 1/8" brass tubing. I reamed two #4 flat washers to 1/8" ID for spacing between the
sections. The hinges are held in place with a 2-56 screw & a miniature nylon lock nut.
The flap center hinge assembly
This is a shot of the center section
with the flap hinges and ribs
Bottom of stab with hinge seal in
place ready for trimming
Close up of booster tab in the right elevator
Temporary fitting of horizontal stab
Note fixture that Jim made which
will hold tail flat or on edge
Trial fitting of the elevators
Double click on above photos to see a movie of the wing folding in action.
(Depending on your internet connection, it may take a while for the movie to load)
Stab routed out - ready for ply
The horizontal stab ready for
Bottom view from the back
The arrow shows the tail wheel
Right elevator with booster tab
The inner hinge
Top view of the rudder linkage.
The only way I could get under the
cockpit was to step it down
Top view of the elevators.
The arrows show the ball links for
The next step for Jim is to detail
the instrument panel and cockpit.
He needed a small lathe, so he
built this, using his Dremel tool for
Side view of rudder linkage
What a nightmare!
Two more views of Jim's new lathe.
To see the plans for the lathe
The Instrument Panel
Sure looks good!
This is the right side of the cockpit
with many circuit breakers on the
Top view of the right side panel
Views of the completed cockpit interior
The workmanship is outstanding Jim.
Click on above photo to see a movie of the sliding canopy mechanism.
Above photos show the dummy radial engine Jim has created, complete with spark plugs
This is the process I used for making the canopy frame. See
photos at right.
1. Taped wax paper under the canopy.
2. Taped down the canopy to the fuse.
3. Masked off the canopy where the glass windows go.
4. Waxed the part where the frame is so I could separate it.
5. Layed up one 6oz layer of fiberglass, let it dry, and then add
another layer of fiberglass.
6. Sand, prime and paint the frame.
Photos below show the wing center section that has been primed, the panel lines are in and the rivets are burnt in.
The first picture is looking forward from the flaps. The dark dots are rivets that are burnt in but not sanded.
The rest of the pictures are just different shots of the center section that has been sanded and is ready for paint.
Photo of Right
wing with some
of the rivets
burnt in and the
panel line tape
show Left wing
with rivets and
panel lines in and
ready for paint
Photos below show the progress that Jim has made in the design and
construction of his version of clamping jigs for his magnetic bulding board.